Thursday, January 27, 2011

heritage challenge, week 1

Heirlooms.

Brenda Johnston is hosting a heritage challenge along with Green Tangerines right now. For more details go here.

Part one of the challenge for week one was to scrapbook an heirloom and document its story. I decided to scrapbook this music box from my nana, before it became “just another nick-nack.” Part two of the challenge was to use some brown lace ribbon from the store.



I knew I wanted to use a single photo of my music box on a single page layout, but wasn’t sure what layout (or size photo) I wanted to use. Then I saw this sketch on Sketch Support & decided to combine all of the photos into a single 6x10” picture.

For my photo, I took my music box outside on an overcast morning. I happened to have two ivory pillow shams (that were in my giveaway pile!), so I draped those over a patio chair & propped the music box on top. I took about 10 photos until I was pleased. I take all my photos in RAW so I can make adjustments easier when I open them up in Photoshop. I applied a few different actions, including an edge burn to get the look I wanted.



I could’ve used scraps of paper from home, but…I’ve been eyeing Basic Grey’s Curio line at the store for a while & thought it would be perfect for this heritage concept! The bonus? New flowers too!



I also inked the edges of the patterned paper & journaling block. I didn’t ink the blue paper because I wanted it to be a bit softer looking.

And I wanted script letters for my title, in brown. Which I didn’t have & didn’t really want to buy. I did have them in grey, so I thought, Hey, I can change the color! So I did. However…they are foam letters, and I colored them with ink which FOREVER (like two days!) to dry. Maybe next time I’ll ink them well in advance!

3 comments:

  1. This turned out AMAZING!!! I am so happy you are taking part in the challenge! I can't wait to see what you do with the wild cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout!!! LOVE the picture!!!! Thanks for playing with Sketch Support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your layout is beautiful! Don't you just love challenges that encourage you to make a page about something you might not of thought about on your own. I love the lace and those papers compliment the photo so well. :)

    ReplyDelete