Sunday, May 9, 2010

the best mothers' day ever!

Last Monday, my husband told me to leave the house (to go to work) because he had to take the kids somewhere. According to the kids, they were going to the mall to buy me a gift. Okay. Except my mom had to go along too. So they could buy me a gift? Okay, whatever. It's that time of year (my birthday is also in May).

When I got home from work, I was told by my kids (who were supposed to be keeping a secret) that they bought me something at the mall. Okay...please don't tell me!

I really didn't think too much of it, except that I did wonder a little bit why mom had to go with them to pick out a top or a pair of earrings. By Wednesday, I had an idea. A hopeful thought.

So Saturday night, as I tucked Olivia into bed, she leaned up & said, "Mommy, I have a special secret." This is a normal part of our routine. My husband said, as he was leaving the room, "Don't tell her." But Olivia didn't listen.

"Mommy, my secret is, are you going to wear your special Mothers' Day shirt tomorrow? I'm going to wear my special Mothers' Day shirt."

I replied, "Yes, of course," and smiled.

When I woke up Sunday morning, I threw on an old tank top while I was getting ready. I figured I'd be opening my gift soon and I knew I had to wear my special Mothers' Day shirt today.

Imagine my surprise when I opened this:


I squealed with joy! My kids all made me this awesome platter from Petroglyph (which is why my mom had to go & help "at the mall"). Not only does it have all three of their handprints, but they kept the secret all week. And Olivia even stuck to their cover story so well that I was convinced that I was getting a shirt. How awesome is that!


No comments:

Post a Comment