Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Brown Sugar Glazed Sweet Potato Wedges

Let me first say, I don't like Sweet Potatoes. Or yams. Period. Not baked, not in a pie (well, I've never tried that), not canned, not fresh, not in that nasty sounding Thanksgiving dish smothered in marshmallows & brown sugar.

So when Brandon was a baby, my mom came upon this recipe & made it. Try it, you'll like it, she said. Ummm, no I'm not because no I won't (there comes a point in your life when you realize there are certain foods you just plain old don't like).

Brandon, on the other hand, being 10 months old & open to eating anything we would let him, devoured these yams. And I will admit, they smell AMAZING. Like fall.

Okay, I'll make them. And I'll try them. And they came out beautifully, and my house smelled wonderful. And then I took a bite and said, Gah! They taste like sweet potatoes! (Okay, don't ask what I thought they'd taste like. Maybe more like they smell. And I certainly expected a better texture.)

So why am I sharing this recipe, you ask? First of all, I'm the only weirdo I know that can't stand yams. And everyone I know who's had these, loves them. Including Abbie & Olivia (Brandon seems to take after me!).

Well, I made them again today for Abbie. And my house smells like fall! I pulled them out of the oven and thought, they look amazing. And they're not all mushy looking this time (see my note below). I'll try one. And I liked it!

****




Brown Sugar Glazed Sweet Potato Wedges

1/4 c butter
3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 cinnamon stick
4 lbs sweet potatoes or yams

Peel & cut potatoes into wedges. Melt butter in a small saucepan & sugar thru ginger, stirring well. Add cinnamon stick & simmer for 5 minutes, stirring. Toss with potatoes.

Place potatoes on a jellyroll pan (you need the edges so that the sticky sauce doesn't drip into your oven) coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes, stirring halfway.

Best served immediately, but they can be reheated under the broiler.

***Note: Pull potatoes from the sauce so there isn't too much liquid on the pan or you will have a sticky pan that takes forever to clean. Also the sauce will make the wedges "boil" instead of bake so they will get kind of mushy.You can then freeze the remaining sauce &; use it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment